Media and Communication Officer
Cessnock, NSW, 2325
We're seeking a self-motivated and talented media and communication star to join our small team! Day-to day you will be responsible for developing proactive communication strategies, effective social media campaigns, promoting Council projects, priorities and services to the community.
Cessnock City Council provides a diverse range of services and facilities for the residents within the local government area, as well as visitors to the area. We employ approximately 280 employees and are situated within the Hunter Valley of New South Wales, approximately 120 kilometres north of Sydney and 40 kilometres west of Newcastle.
Working within the General Managers Unit, you will promote a positive image of Council to our residents, ratepayers and business community through various media and communication channels and ensure valuable information regarding our activities and achievements reaches appropriate target audiences.
This role will also be required to:
- provide communication and media support, advice, training and coaching to the Mayor, General Manager and key staff within Council;
- determine day-to-day media management strategies and develop proactive approaches to support and help deliver core business objectives;
- source, coordinate, design, produce, write and/or edit content for corporate publications, newsletters, advertising, intranet/internet and social media content; and
- assist key stakeholders with organising and coordinating functions, promotions, events and displays.
To succeed in this role, you will ideally have:
- degree qualifications in Communication, Public Relations or other tertiary qualifications relevant to the key accountabilities of the position;
- demonstrated understanding and experience with a range of communications tools, including print and electronic news production, social media, advertising principles, newspaper and magazine layout;
- demonstrated experience in using the Adobe Creative Suite including being proficient in Adobe InDesign to produce communication materials; and
- highly developed written and verbal communication skills and strong creative writing skills.
$70,290 - $78,725 per annum (plus 10.5% employer’s contribution to superannuation). This position is based on a 35 hour working week and RDO scheme.
Close Date: Thursday, 23 March 2017 at 11.30pm
How to Apply:
Before applying, please read the position description below.
Please complete the application form below and answer the questions which relate to the essential and desirable criteria within the role description, then upload a copy of your resume and cover letter. For more information on how to address the selection criteria please visit: http://www.cessnock.nsw.gov.au/council/jobs/Howtoapply
You may find it helpful to write your response to the questions in a word document then copy/paste this into the application form once you are ready to submit your application.
Annaleize Hambling, Senior Media and Communication Officer on 4993 4237
Guided by staff values of integrity, respect, teamwork, accountability and excellence, Cessnock City Council is indeed an attractive, thriving Council and employer of choice.