Youth Vocational Specialist (Headspace Broome)
- Work in the gorgeous Kimberley region with 5 weeks annual leave (pro rata) to explore your surrounds!
- Make a difference to the lives of youth struggling with mental health issues!
- Attractive base salary circa $55,000 PLUS airfares and district, electricity and accommodation allowances!
About the Organisation
Headspace is the National Youth Mental Health Foundation. Their primary focus is the mental health and wellbeing of all young Australians and they know that getting help early is the key to resolving these problems quickly. Headspace is making a difference where it's need most - with Australia's young people.
Headspace Broome is focused on providing young people aged 12 - 25 with support and advice for a range of issues. They provide free services including Counselling, Doctor's Clinics and Sexual Health Clinics.
About the Region
Broome is located 2,240km north of Perth and has a permanent population of 14,436. Broome promotes a relaxed and easy-going lifestyle, with nearby shopping centres, Sunday markets as well as a broad range of restaurants and entertainment options. It is founded on the traditional lands of the Yaruwu people and is rich in history, culture and beautiful surrounds.
Broome has a deep history in the pearling industry, spanning back to the 1800’s, with memorials throughout the town to commemorate those lost in the early years of pearling. Cable Beach is also a must-see, being named in honour of the Java-to-Australia undersea telegraph cable that reaches shore there. You can explore its beautiful scenery with a bit of 4WDing at low tide, or you can even take a camel ride every day at sunset!
Roebuck Bay is known as one of the most beautiful beaches that surrounds Broome, with its “Staircase to the moon” phenomenon drawing food and craft markets each time it occurs. The combination of a receding tide and rising moon create a natural phenomenon that can only be described as breath-taking.
About the Opportunity
Headspace now has an exciting opportunity for a Youth Vocational Specialist to join their team in Broome, WA on a part-time basis (38 hours a fortnight).
Reporting to the Headspace Broome Senior Manager, this role will be responsible for supporting the delivery of the Individual Placement and Support (IPS) employment program. You'll do this by:
- Taking on case management of a number of active participants;
- Assisting young jobseekers to identify their educational and employment goals;
- Co-designing a career profile and individual employment plan with participants, with input from the participant’s clinical team;
- Providing education, vocation and employment support in conjunction with the participant’s clinical team;
- Conducting regular job development and job search activities with participants;
- Developing a broad range of employer relationships in the local community to ensure suitable job matches, and providing employers with appropriate education and support;
- Assisting participants to apply for jobs and contact employers;
- Liaising with Disability Employment Services (DES) or Job Active providers where applicable; and
- Providing post-placement planning and in-work support to participants as required.
The successful candidate will have knowledge of the principles of Individual Placement and Support evidence-based supported employment, along with experience working with young people. You'll demonstrate a recovery-focused, person-centered attitude towards young people with mental health needs and will have the ability to develop and deliver person-centered plans and support.
Importantly, you'll have knowledge of, or experience in, employment services or other social inclusion services, relevant legislation and local labour market trends.
A key part of this role will be networking with key stakeholders, community organisations, clinical staff and employers to achieve a mutually beneficial outcome. As such, it's essential you be an influential person with strong negotiation, communication and interpersonal skills.
The ideal candidate will also possess;
- “C” Class drivers licence;
- National Police Clearance, and;
- Working with Children Check.
This is a rewarding opportunity to engage the youth of the Kimberley region and help them overcome the issues they face regarding mental health. Headspace is looking for a passionate and caring individual who is dedicated to making a real difference in young people’s lives.
Please note: Previous candidates need not apply.
About the Benefits
Headspace is an organisation that truly values its team, and is committed to improving employee knowledge, skills and experience. In addition, staff development programs are not only encouraged, but are often paid for by Headspace. This is a fantastic opportunity for someone with a desire to step into a highly rewarding role in the area of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander health!
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will be rewarded with an attractive base salary circa $55,000 (pro-rata), dependent on experience, plus a further range of benefits, including:
- District allowance of $2,920 p.a. (single) or $5,840 p.a. (double);
- Accommodation allowance of $7,800;
- Electricity allowance of $1,440;
- Annual airfares to the value of $1,285 p.a. (after 12 months of employment); and
- 5 weeks annual leave (pro rata) to explore your beautiful surrounds.
*Note salary & allowances are on a pro-rata basis
People who identify as Aboriginal and/or Torres Strait Islander are encouraged to apply.