- Live and work in a little bit of paradise in Cape York!
- Bring your experience in Works Management to this vibrant organisation!
- Competitive package circa $120,000, including a host of fantastic benefits!
About the Organisation
The Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council (MASC) provides a range of local government services to the shire of Mapoon and the surrounding geographical region. This vibrant and friendly community is located in Port Musgrave on the western coast of the Cape York Peninsula in Far North Queensland.
The Mapoon Shire is responsible for the delivery of the following services: Council Administration, Waste Management, Water Management, Community Store and Service Station, Land and Sea Ranger Program, Aged Care Services and Visitor Management. The Council is also the principle contractor for government (construction and maintenance programs).
This stunning remote part of Australia captivates locals and visitors alike with amazing wildlife, cultural experiences and adventure.
About the Opportunity
The Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council now has an exciting full-time opportunity for an experienced Works Manager to join their team based in Mapoon, QLD.
Reporting to the Chief Executive Officer, this executive level position will be primarily responsible for overseeing and managing operations for the MASC Works area and Council projects. You will also be leading staff and contractors and offering support to the executive team to deliver outcomes in line with the Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council approved budget and plans.
More specifically, some of your key duties will include:
- Managing contracts and projects with a focus on compliance and timelines;
- Overseeing the housing program and coordinating the associated reports;
- Assisting in the preparation of strategic Corporate and Operational Plans;
- Budgeting and financial forecasting;
- Leading risk assessments and/or internal audits;
- Managing the planning, delegation of tasks, and inspection of works to ensure service standards are met;
- Submission of monthly reports to council;
- Workplace health and safety, (monitoring and compliance); and
- Developing harmonious relationships with all customers and key stakeholders.
To be successful in this position, you will have previous experience in a similar role, ideally within the building industry. A background in Workplace Health and Safety and risk management will be required, while a Cert IV in WH&S would be highly regarded. Although not essential, a Degree or Diploma in Business Management or Project Management would also be looked upon favourably.
As this is a leadership role, you will need to have highly developed written and verbal communication and time management skills and the ability to motivate and engage your team in order to get the best results. An understanding of working/living in a remote community with an understanding of Indigenous culture will also be highly regarded.
Please note: Candidates must be Australian residents/hold an appropriate work visa and be willing to obtain a criminal history check and undergo a physical/health check.
About the Benefits
In return for your hard work and dedication, you will receive a total remuneration package circa $120,000! This includes relocation allowance, a company vehicle, a partially furnished 2 bedroom house overlooking the beach (pet-friendly), and 4 weeks annual leave.
This organisation also offers an easy going, supportive and happy culture in Far North Queensland's little bit of paradise. Enjoy spending your weekends fishing, camping or relaxing while looking out over the Gulf of Carpentaria!
The Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council encourages their staff to continually develop their skills and provides employees with the opportunity to grow within the organisation.
This is a fantastic opportunity to work within an organisation with a friendly team culture in a warm and vibrant community - Apply Now!